lunes, 27 de agosto de 2007

Lago del plato


No, I wasn't on my way to Europe in this photo - but I was gearing up. My first long camping trip was to the warm, beautiful shores of Silver Lake. We stayed in Portland on the way down, but I didn't get to take any leftovers home from the Montage. Probably just as well, they might have shaped mine like a cat - I think that would make me lose my appetite. We got to Silver Lake a bit later than we had planned on, then realized we wanted more than just a weekend to spend in the quiet, rustic cabin. Mandy and Dave were excellent hosts, keeping us well-fed with tri-tip and chocolate chip cookies. Each morning we'd get up fairly early and have a quick breakfast before heading for the canoes and a trout-filled lake. As the breeze started to pick up we'd head back for some lunch, a few rounds of cribbage, a nap, maybe a hike and, of course, cookies with milk. Another nap would follow a refreshing swim in the cool, mountain-fed water, then back to the canoes. After dinner we tried night-fishing with glow-sticks, which turned out more entertaining than productive. Curled up with a bottle of hot-chocolate and some blankets we watched for shooting stars as the gentle lake waves rocked us to sleep in the bottom of the canoe. I probably could have slept all night like that if Kelly hadn't been startled by what turned out to be a flock of Canadian geese. It was a bit eerie to hear the noises echoing off the rocks, but seriously...girls. The short trip ended all-too-quickly. We packed some of the trout I caught in a cooler with a couple bags of ice. We ended up needing the ice as badly as the fish as we descended into the valley. Emily is a good girl, but she is a bit lacking in the air-conditioning department. I introduced myself to Kelly's pseudo-niece, Lilly, then spent the rest of the drive home desperately searching for milkshakes. Tired, sweaty but grateful for such a marvelous weekend, I drifted off to sleep and dreamed I was still floating...


No hay comentarios: